Friday, September 07, 2007


I FELT SO BLESSED
A few days ago I was at Tengku Amir’s school when he sat for his UPSR exams. The night before he was making a last minute preparations for his science paper with me. He was very worried about it because during his trial exams he managed to get only a B in the subject. His mother was at the school the last two days, but she had to leave for Kuala Lumpur yesterday because of work commitment. So I replaced her to lend support for Ku Amir. Well, that was the least I could do. Maybe it will boost his confidence a little.

Tengku Amir is very intelligent and talks like an adult when he is not moody. He is only eleven years old but he is already sitting for his UPSR. He is very confident of himself. Despite his small size and made of skin and bones, he has already made up his mind to be a footballer. ‘I will represent Malaysia’, he said. He practices every evening with our neighbor’s children. He watched every live telecast of football matches over Astro (our local Satellite TV programs). He memorized all the team Players name and knew all their background and the number of scores for each team. His favorite team is of course Barcelona of Spain. His favourite player is Ronaldinho. He wears the Teams’ T-shirt whenever he practices football with his friends. I pray that one day he will achieve his dreams.

Last year his elder sister, Tengku Diyana Puteri, sat for her UPSR and she scored all A’s and Ku Amir is making sure that he will get 5A’ too. I am sure he is going to get his way judging from the way he emerged from the exams hall beaming from ear to ear. However, that is my Ku Amir, always confident of himself, sometimes overconfident.

When I was at the school, I noticed a few parents were also there to lend support to their children. A few parents were enjoying breakfast in the school canteen, while another group was at the school ‘surau’, praying, or reading the Quran quietly at the corner praying for Allah’s blessings.

I was the only grandmother there. Everybody was commenting how strong I look and how lucky for Ku Amir to have a strong grandmother. I felt so blessed.

Yes. I am still strong and healthy. I have always been a health freak. Never taking my health for granted. I was always looking for ways to stay young, slim and healthy. So far I have managed to maintain my 48.5 kg weight for as long as I remember- just great for my 5.2 ft frame.

I kept my figure the way I was 40 years ago. All my friend said so. I maintained my figure because I was always reminded by my grandmother ‘never take your food unless you tie your waist before eating and do not drinks until you have finished your food’. I was also a dancer in my younger days and I used to enjoy going to the Gym during my free time.

I could still slipped into my old clothes whenever I felt the urge to do so. The only problem is my hair. White strands of hair seemed to be cropping up in many places over my crown. Not much, but enough to make me felt old and unattractive. This is something that nature is telling me that age is catching up. But I still love my body. It is the best gift God has given me besides my six lovely children and all my eleven grandchildren. They are my greatest assets.
So I have discovered a new trick. I dyed my hair every two or three months. My friends think that I am a freak. They were saying that I am already old and should accept my look as it is. I should also dress my age. You know in the loose baju kurung or the baju kebaya, our national costumes. Or course! I am proud of my national costumes. But why should I be a follower? Why should I listen to my friends who are so old fashion and had bodies like a gunny-sacks?
.
I have nothing to hide. I still have a great figure. I still looked smashing in my figure-hugging baju kebaya and elegant in my baju kurung. But they are too baggy and restricted my movements. The other day I tripped on my sarong and fell on the concrete slab in front of my neighbors’ house. I was lucky, not many people saw me. I got up with a minor scratch on my knee. I had trouble performing my prayer. I t hurts every time I bend my knee.

I am more confident in my pants and short blouses. They gave me freedom of movement, besides I think I looked more like an executive than a kampong makchik. I DO NOT WANT TO BE CONSIDERED like an ordinary women in the street. Why should I dress like everybody else? In Kelantan, for that matter, everyone in the street dress similar. There is no distinction between the old and the young. The only difference is their body shape. The young is slim and pretty, while the old shows their bulge and spare tyres everywhere. They allow their fats and muscle to protrude in the wrong places

I hate to see women who allowed their figure to bloat like balloons after marriage. It is so unbecoming to see women riding pillion on motorcycles with their husbands- their back looking like bags of potatoes.

No comments: