Wednesday, October 10, 2007


My Birthday

It is Wednesday, 10th October 2007. I celebrate my birthday with my youngest and cutest grandson, Tengku Mikhail (MIKI) who turns four today. In three days time we will be celebrating Hari Raya ‘Aidil Fitri’, the most celebrated month of the Muslim calendar.

Today is also the launching of the first Malaysian into space. It is indeed an auspicious day and so glad to be part of it. According to my mother I was born on a Wednesday evening just before Maghrib prayer.

Throughout this month of Ramadhan, I have managed to keep myself quite healthy. I have not missed any of the puasa and able to perform the Solat Tarawikh quite regularly on my own. This year I decided to perform the prayer at my own pace.

I love the quietness and the peacefulness of an air conditioned room in the privacy of my own home. I was able to concentrate in my own ‘doa’ instead of just being a follower of the Imam who recites verses of the Holy Quran which was too long.

I felt like a statue standing and waiting for him to finish his reading. The worst part was, I do not understand the meaning of what is being read or recited. Last year I went to the local mosque to perform the Tarawikh, not because I understand the Imam but I was there because I was taken by his good voice.

This year’s Imam, as usual also imported from Thailand for the duration of the whole of the fasting month, but I do not fancy his voice. Malaysian as a whole like imported goods. I am sure there are locals available but foreigners make better Imams I suppose!!

So this year I make it a point I know how to perform my own Tarawikh. I refer to books on how to perform the prayers and memorize all the important Surah.

I did a lot of home work on my own. I was determined to do it on my own. The result was fantastic. I do not have to rush to the mosque. After breaking the fast, I went straight up to my room to perform the Maghrib prayer and read short verses from the Quran.

Then I took a break to watch the news on TV and took a short nap before proceeding to perform the Solat Isyak and Tarawikh.

Many of my friends gave a me a weird look when I told them I don’t go to the mosque to perform the Tarawikh.

Let it be lah!!. I am happy and I hope Allah is happy with me.

1 comment:

Za said...

Not for long, MIKI won't be your youngest cucu. InsyaAllah, you will be blessed with another cucu, your 12th cucu, when Sufia delivers in a few month's time.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Ma!