Monday, January 02, 2006

My Children are my passion


As I write this, my thoughts are with my youngest son who is studying in Ireland. He is in his second year in Cork University College, reading Medicine. I miss him a lot. I had him after an eleven year break and already in my fourties. He is the only one who is not married at the moment.

When my husband died of a heart attack in late 1996, he was the only one left at home. He was only twelve then. But I guessed he took things quite well and did not give me much problem.He was doing well in school. He was very obedient and very sweet. I could talk to him and he would always give me time to listen to my problems. It had been very hard for me to accept the fact that the best two persons of my life, that is my husband and my mother, are now gone forever. But my youngest son became my strength.

Both my husband and my mother left us very suddenly. My mother died due to Amphycilin. The medicine was prescribed to her by Dr.Nawi a private medical practitioner near our house in Kota Bharu. Apparently she was allergic to it. She succumbed to the poison after a week in hospital. We were all so devatated by the turn of event as we were all in Kuala Lumpur and was not with her when she took the medicine. It must have been fated that she had be there by herself towards the end of her life.

My mother has always been with me. We were very close. Me being an only child. She being a widow when she and my father were sepated when she was still carrying me. She did not remarry again until I was fifteen.

My mother and her new husband was very loving. But Alas! the marriege did not last long. My step-father died after two years of marriage. She never remarry again. My mother and I shared everything. I would never do anything without her approval. I would consult her on everything. Even now, even though she was gone more than 18 years, there are times when I think of her and longing to be near her. Listening to her cheerful laugh. I still miss her cooking. I still miss her advice. At time I still feel the need to consult her especially when the problem seems too big to solve alone.

What worries me now is that my son is not performing too well in his exams. I know he is an intelligent student and has been a top student at home.

No comments: